The ExPat Writer

D-L Nelson is a Swiss-Canadian writer and journalist. Visit her website http://dlnelsonwriter.com

Monday, September 07, 2026

Too much, too many

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/933565701162168371/1546184357176152094/rickadamsfraes_laptop_with_emeails_flying_out_and_stacked_aroun_ee6366a3-2c5c-42b0-8092-a2580f8b4d74.png?ex=6a9edbe5&is=6a9d8a65&hm=01ada2bd3442158982bf76a60f77c9b780c3bdbad19fa09764da8103b9f0133b& 

It started with a couple of emails. Now it can be up to 20 or more a day. Book reviewers, pod casters, free lance editors, publicists...if it has to do with publishing, they are soliciting me usually with a mass mailings starting "Dear Author"... followed by a pitch pretending they know me.

Rarely does one use my name. One must have thought I changed my name to Kenneth. 

Here's a sloppy mailer. 

Dear Donna Lane,

After learning more about Cook With Confidence, I couldnt shake the feeling that this book is sitting in front of the wrong audience. You have created a practical and encouraging guide that helps teens, young adults, and other inexperienced cooks... 

That's not my book.

Someone who used my name and obviously looked at my web site https://dlnelsonwriter.blogspot.com including a bit of my biography. One offered a service that might interest me and after checking her out on LinkedIn and Facebook, I responded. It's worth a follow up conversation. 

Many offer to get me Amazon reviews. I have a set paragraph which I send saying that I want nothing to do with anything Jeff Bezos could profit from. He is one of those oligarchs helping to destroy my birth country. 

A young artist wrote a personal email looking for cover designing business. Although I have no need of an artist and I love my book cover designer Deirdre Wait, I gave him some marketing hints, wishing him good luck.  

I want my email for friends and family not clogged with advertising. 

Silly me. 

 

 

 

DL NELSON at 2:39 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment

‹
›
Home
View web version
Powered by Blogger.