Thursday, August 15, 2019

Dogs, couples, packs

Getting Sherlock from the rescue center changed our couple into a pack. It is now the three of us.

Rick is alpha dog, I'm beta and we tell Sherlock he is the omega dog despite his attempts to increase his status.

We delayed getting a dog for a long time because of our travel schedule. When we discovered www.TrustedHousesitters.com  the excuse was no longer viable, so off to the rescue center we went for an older female.

When a three-month male was put in my arms and he kissed me, that was it.

The pack now sleeps together. I spoon my husband a lot less. He is spooned by Sherlock and I spoon Sherlock. Everyone roles over. Sometimes Sherlock tunnels under the covers. Most of the time he is snuggled up to one of us. Isn't that what packs do?

We watch DVDs and Netflix together. We watch him throw his Kong around. Lap/nap time is routine.

When he does cute things, he checks to make sure we are watching.

We've learned his vocabulary of different barks and mumbles and he's learned ours. The word stay is followed by sigh. Marchons Marchons and he circles and gets excited about his walk.

My daughter says he's pampered not spoiled. I'm not so sure when Rick spoon feeds him eggs cooked especially for Sherlock. Seems he liked them better that way.

And trips to the beach and forest where he can run zoomies are a must.

We are happy to be part of his pack. But the alpha, beta, omega positions will continue as is in our pack.


No comments: