Friday, December 02, 2022

Christmas/Solstice/Revels

 


 I had never heard of the Christmas Revels, but if Dan and Barbara said it would be fun, I was more than happy to buy their extra ticket.

Sanders Hall, where it would be performed, is part of Harvard and has an old English feel to it.

The first act included people in medieval dress, singing and dancing to music from medieval days with some audience participation.

Than the Morris Dancers came out and "Lord of the Dance" was played. The dancers led the entire audience out of the theater where they continued to dance.

I was hooked.

Every year there after, I tried to get tickets, not always easy. Sometimes it was necessary to usher or become a subscriber. Fortunately, one the years I did get them, I was able to include my then Yugoslavian exchange student. That year my daughter was studying in Germany.

Each Christmas in Europe I felt a bit of nostalgia that I couldn't attend.

Right before Covid struck, my husband and I spent Christmas with my daughter in Boston. "Get tickets. Become a subscriber, I'll pay," I told and she did.

It was a snowy and cold evening as we walked across Harvard yard to Sanders. I so wanted Rick to share the experience with Llara and me It was just as wonderful as I'd remembered it. 

Covid shut it down BUT BUT BUT they did a wonderful on-line compilation. There in the coziness of our French flat we were able to see favorite bits and pieces.

2021 they offered it on line. They will do the same this year and we've already subscribed. We will probably watch it on New Years Eve.

To get a bit of the flavor.

               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6CD5ETkvXU 

To add it to your Christmas celebrations, sign up on line at https://revels.org

Note: Maybe it is appropriate that the late John Langstaff, founder of the Revels, was born 24 December.

 

 

 

No comments: