Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Happiness from a pen



The village Christmas marché was in full swing. Children waited to sit in Pére Noël's lap and/or for face painting, People ate fresh popped pop corn and pink barbe de papa (cotton candy). Everyone was smiling.

I spied a chalet that was selling pens. Even as a minimalist,  I collect beautiful and special fountain pens. The last pen I added to my collection was hand made and was sold in Ferney-Voltaire's Christmas market on the Geneva border.

I only use fountain pens. I won't claim it improves my penmanship, but there is something about holding something beautiful even if I am writing something as plebeian as  "Buy apple juice" or "achet jus de pomme."

There were two that were special. The one in the photo above and another that looked white flowered fabric for a woman's dress. I chose the one above.

It meant all my three criteria before I buy anything.

1.Useful

2.Beautiful

3. A memory

I was especially taken by the decorated silver on one pen. People who note that I always seem happy may understand when something as simple as using a pen can bring immense waves of pleasure by its look and feel.

As for the memory...the woman who made the pen was from Edinburgh and we had a lovely conversation about the joys of Scotland. I'll think of her whenever I add apple juice to the shopping list.

No comments: