Thursday, May 25, 2023

Kissinger

 

Years ago I was covering an international conference for the paper I worked for. The head of the Australian delegation was saying pridefully how he was working with Kissinger.

I shouldn't have because I was representing a journal, but I quietly said, "I wouldn't brag about it."

Just because the man is turning 100 doesn't make me think he is any less of a war criminal.

A new book out  by Nick Turse just reinforces my belief that the man should have been in prison from 1970 on.

It also reinforces the  pain I feel at all the people who were hurt and/or died because of the lies of Vietnam. I take no pleasure in being right.

Here's the Amazon write up. "Americans have long been taught that events such as the notorious My Lai massacre were "isolated incidents" in the Vietnam War, carried out by a few "bad apples." However, as award-winning journalist and historian Nick Turse demonstrates in this pioneering investigation, violence against Vietnamese civilians was not at all exceptional. Rather, it was pervasive and systematic, the predictable consequence of official orders to "kill anything that moves."

Drawing on a decade of research into secret Pentagon files and extensive interviews with American veterans and Vietnamese survivors, Turse reveals the policies and actions that resulted in millions of innocent civilians killed and wounded. He lays out in shocking detail the workings of a military machine that made crimes all but inevitable. 

Here's an interview with the author.

Could Americans beside the kids that fought it done more to discover the truth and stopped the war?

Americans also accepted the lies about the Iraq war.

Whom I really feel badly for are the men and women who put their lives on the line for a lie.

Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam

 https://theintercept.com/2023/05/23/henry-kissinger-cambodia-bombing-survivors/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=The%20Intercept%20Newsletter&fbclid=IwAR26-HccO3X9DWP1Vz2Qyq1gEEasJYZ8Wc6D9w_LNxzdMMr12pxGXDZseBc

No comments: