Tuesday, August 22, 2023

A Bookstore to know and love

 

One of the problems of being a book addict who reads about 100 books a year while living in a country with a different language is finding books in my mother tongue. Yes, I could read French, but the pleasure is not the same.

For a three hour TGV ride I can go to Paris to visit the famous Shakespeare's Sister and Red Wheelbarrow for a bookstore fix. Love them, but it is not practical. Even going to Lausanne or Bern takes too much time.

Locally there's a chain which has an English section but it lacks the cozy factor. I often take refuge in the Geneva Library in English. And there are phone booth book drops, but there's no guarantee they'll have any English books or even if they do any I might want.

There are novels where they write about cozy bookstores, and when I read about them, I sigh longingly.

Then Pages and Sips opened an English Language bookstore in the Vieille Ville. Nestled in an old-old building (all buildings are old in the Vieille Ville,) its rooms wander up and down stairs. Old wooden beams add atmosphere. Tables and chairs are placed among the book shelves.

Those tables and chairs are for the the sips part of the bookstore. Scones, pastries, a good assortment of teas and coffees are a delight. There are so many little touches like the small jars of clotted cream or jellies, sealed with the store's label. 

The selection is wide and they order anything they might not have.

The staff is warm and friendly. Going in the door and seeing them is like seeing friends.

For Rick and I (and Sherlock our dog) waking up and catching the bus to Pages &Sips is a great start of the day. We may be picking up a book we ordered or just want to bask in the atmosphere. I admit walking by some of the displays, I can't resist buying another book, sometimes for a gift and sometimes for me which is unplanned.

We've met some other regulars and it is a treat when we are there at the same time. 

Today we were picking up Christmas presents. Our family tradition is stolen from Iceland. On Christmas Eve we give books then go to bed to read them.

We ordered our scones. I'm a fan of their smoked tea. Rick went for a cappuccino. "I really enjoy this," he said.

Other clients drifted in and out. We chatted with the friendly owner. On the way to the loo, I saw someone I'd met on an earlier visit and his dachshund Obie. He asked where Sherlock was. I also found a book by Alice Hoffman. Needless to say, I bought it.



No comments: