Thursday, October 19, 2023

Silly Fears

  

"Will you come with me when I do my wash?" My housemate in the company apartment where we lived was fresh out of university, tri-lingual, intelligent, well-read, and a good nine inches taller than I was. I was in my 40s.

The apartment was in a tiny Swiss mountain village where cows out numbered people 10  to one.Voltaire had visited Jean-Jacques Rousseau there when Rousseau was hiding from the Geneva authorities. A priory from the 6th century had been converted into a champagne cave.

"It's spooky down there," she said.

She was right. The basement could have been a movie set for a horror or thriller film.

"Of course," I said.

She was equally kind to me.

The road from the village that we had to take to go to work when driven fast made my stomach drop. I hated it.

Each drop brought back memories of when at age six, I was staying with a neighbor while my mother was in the hospital. The woman made biscuits for her husband's lunch every day, cutting them into perfect round shapes with a drinking glass.

That day, her brother was visiting and suggested that after lunch we all go for a drive.

He started speeding down a long road. With each bump my stomach dropped.

I was terrified. I screamed non stop hitting him and had to be restrained, but the man would not stop the car as the husband held me back.

I was in my teens before I would get in a car with any male other than my father. Even today, I will not go on any roller coaster, Ferris wheel or carnival ride where I can't get off if my stomach drops.

My housemate, who loved to drive the road fast, when I explained my fear, would ask whenever she drove us to work if her speed was okay and adjust accordingly.

Were our fears silly?

I doubt any killer or ghost would have attacked us while doing the laundry, nor would I jump from a car that was going too fast. 

Were our fears real?

Compared to living in a war zone, thru a flood, hurricane, earthquake or volcano, fire, maybe not. 

Based on memories of scary movies and scary roads, yes. It didn't matter that we were now safe. And accommodating them was just kindness.



No comments: