Saturday, February 08, 2014

zebra boots

The woman on the bus was dressed in expensive clothes and carried a shopping bag from one of the exclusive shops. Her hair was stylish, but her face was wrinkled. I suspect that she was quite beautiful in her youth, but she was working to do everything possible to be as attractive as possible

She wore zebra boots on her feet. Not many, if any, women in her age group would wear boots like that.

 I complemented her. Sometimes people don't like to speak to strangers and I back off, but it has led to some fascinating conversations. She was a chatterer.

She got off before I did, and although we'd been speaking French, she said in English, "Have a wonderful day."

The boots raise an issue on age appropriate clothing. I remember the orthopedic shoes and severe dresses my grandmother wore at the age I am now. Never did she leave the house without a hat and gloves. She always wore a corset under her clothes.

Now women in their 70s and 80s dress with a sense of style but then there's the English phrase, mutton dressed up as lamb. I think of a woman in Argeles who, at my age despite a tremendous body, looks as if she could be on a catwalk in the 1960s in her dress. It does not go with her aged face.

I don't want to be mutton dressed up as lamb, but I don't want to look like an old fart either. Certain parts of my body are better not emphasized. But hopefully some items in my wardrobe are both fun and age appropriate.

Would I wear zebra boots?  They might look good with my black tights and long black sweater.



No comments: