Tuesday, February 04, 2014

No CNN poll for me today

It is 6:52

I'm in bed with my laptop checking emails and the many news sites.

CNN always has a poll. This is one I won't take. It asks which city has the best shopping: London? Paris?

I have spent a good amount of time in both cities. In Paris, I might buy fruit if I'm staying with my friend or something for dinner. In London I will stand on places like Fleet Street and marvel at what has happened there. I'll walk by the house where Virginia Wolfe lived. In cities flowing with art, history, etc..

Years ago when I was covering a conference in Rome, someone said, "There's great shopping there and named some stores." I had never even thought that I might shop. However, I was looking forward to meeting the professor who translated the 17,000 cuneiform tablets from 3,000 BC and found in the Ebla, Syria dig.

Why wasn't I shopping on the trip? There was nothing I needed or wanted and I knew I could get a Rome Mug for my daughter's collection at the airport.

I can tell you however about a wonderful guide in London, and what a thrill it is to see the Cluny Tapestries in Paris. 

I guess it's a matter of time and energy. Shopping drains me, exploring energizes me.


No comments: