Saturday, October 17, 2015

I've been called ( )

 It is hard to find a photo of vomiting that isn't repulsive.

Over the years I've been described by many titles
  • Daughter
  • Sister
  • Wife
  • Ex-wife
  • Writer
  • Journalist
  • PR Director
  • Divorcee
  • Consultant
  • Editor
  • Publisher
  • Friend 
  • American
  • Swiss
However more and more I'm becoming known as the "woman who vomited."

When I renounced my American nationality, I blogged how it upset me that I had to make a choice between being American and having a bank account in the country where I lived, Switzerland. I blogged it. blog.http://theexpatwriter.blogspot.ch/2011/12/one-of-saddest-days.html

I was so upset that when I left the Embassy in Bern that I threw up. 

I included that in my blog, which was picked up by journalists and groups who are fighting FATCA, the US law bullying non-US banks and other investment by threatening such huge fines and punishments that it is easier for them to shut out all ex-pats from all types of banking and investment opportunities.

I am not alone...other people who have been faced with financial ruin or returning to the US after building lives abroad are also renouncing not because they want to but because they have no acceptable choice.

Now, I meet people in the community who are fighting these draconian regulations, "Are you the woman who vomited."

On a recent radio interview one of the people about FATCA mentioned a woman who vomited after surrendering her US citizenship.

Of my titles, I think it is one of the more interesting.  The only problem I regret the necessity for my choice that led to it.





No comments: