Monday, March 16, 2020

Love in the time of Corona -- 2

With apologies to Isabelle Allende

The Swiss vote and vote and vote. This Sunday was another votation, but not on issues. We are electing our leaders, 23 of them for our town.

Ballot packages went out well in advance but it was possible to mail them. 

My other choice was to go to the elementary school (shown above). 

Most votations, I mail my ballot, but every so often, I go to the school, talk with others, have a croissant and coffee. It makes establishing my right as a Swiss citizen even more pleasant.

I'd made my decisions a couple of weeks ago and sealed my ballot but had not gotten around to mail it.

When we pulled into the school parking lot, there were were two male volunteers near the entrance.

"You can wash your hands with sanitizers," one said. "And try and keep your distance." I immediately stepped way, way back from him although I hadn't been close. He laughed.

Inside, there were less people than normal

No croissants.

No coffee. I expected that. 

There were only two people taking the ballots and checking ID cards as well as looking the ID sheet.

"Have you had many people?" I asked the young man sitting at the table.

"Only about 30," he said.

Once he checked me, he handed me back my blue envelope. I walked across the room and dropped it in the box, having done my civic duty. 

There was a bottle of hand sanitizer next to the door for those that wanted it.
 

No comments: