Monday, April 10, 2023

A1 yes or no?

 


See this photo. 

My husband who has no (his words) artistic talent generated it through an AI program using this description. "Text description prompt: sepia tone old photo style - several people, including children in ragged clothing and carrying rucksacks, huddled around a fire on the beach in Argeles sur Mer in winter of 1939, La Retirada refugees from Spain, escaping General Franco."

Compared to real Retirada photos from the period it is pretty realistic.

He also generated a drawing of me.

I have mixed reactions-

WOW...I can generate illustrations far superior to my own work.

ARGHH...in the current insane world filled with lies, how will we ever know what is real and what isn't.

Both my husband and I are writers and even when against deadline, we weigh each word in our work. If not each word, each sentence, paragraph and placement of them all,

When there is time we polish. Get rid of that adverb. An ing verb is weak and get rid of adverbs. Show might replace tell. 

We may come across a better fact.

Would A1 do the polish necessary? Would it be accurate?

Because I'm a writer I admire great and good writing. Probably  AI won't cut that "ly" as I often do. They will be lazy and over use adverbs.

Rick and I often show each other good photos, good art work and read good writing to each other. 

We follow news from several different countries. Even then we want to know the source to test the accuracy. Doubts with AI will increase in various percentages.

As for art, I can admire beauty, but we collect art wanting to support the creativity of the artists. I don't feel too emotional about wanting to support the creativity of a computer or a data base, although I can admire the knowledge of the people putting that database together. 

Then there is the misinformation problem. Manipulation by governments and corporations. The lack of using our own minds.

I suspect I am feeling the same as a cottage worker during the Industrial Revolution.

No comments: