Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Lemon and Lemonade

 

We are staying in a luxury hotel in Florida for a conference. It's a state I never liked and now because of the politics I feel dirty just being here. 

The governor is pushing everything I don't believe in of which includes banning books, bigotry/racism and violence and that is just a part of what seems like a run up to Fascism.

One the other hand, I've always been a proponent of lemonade made from lemons.

The staff at this hotel are incredible, especially the people who make up the rooms and serve in the restaurants. I've made an effort to talk to them which is enriching.



I've found that:

  • Luigi admits to being Italian and speaks Italian, English, Spanish. He has been a waiter at the hotel for 14 years and says the wages and benefits are good, including the health insurance. This is good to know.
  • Jean-Paul is originally from India, has two daughters, the older in university. Before working in hotels he was on cruise ships, but he didn't like to be away from his family. He took our napkins and folded them to form a slipper, Mickey Mouse ears for Rick. I was decorated as the Statue of Liberty.
  • As for the women who make up the rooms, all had cheery smiles. One and I ended up hugging after our conversation. 
  • I didn't get everyone's name. I do know they come from Egypt, Haiti, Puerto Rico (which is American). In one conversation with the Egyptian waitress she brought Tim to our table. It was his last week. He graduates next week with a degree in marketing. He was the only non-immigrant working the restaurant floor.

Each encounter, each mini-conversation enriched my day. 

I know there are people risking their lives to come here, fleeing horrendous conditions, some of which the U.S. helped create. I am in a beautiful room overlooking a pool and golf course. 

 


Each morning I wake to an incredible sunrise. I am beyond lucky. I just wish I wasn't contributing to the economy of a place that I feel is helping to destroy my birth country.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna there are so many unresolved issues here in US it grieves my heart. Then I have to let it go. Yes I feel the same as you. Re Florida. Insanity. Stay well. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

From barb