Saturday, December 09, 2023

I am so rich

  

This morning, I can crawl back into my warm bed with my husband and dog. Two of the three of us will read for a little while.

We can see the living Christmas tree on the patio waiting for the solstice to be brought in to be decorated by my husband, daughter and me with 51-year old hand-made ornaments containing memories and color.

The flat is warm.

We will walk to the marché for the brownie lady who is now making minced pies. We need honey from the bee keeper and veggies for the barley soup my husband is making for lunch. It's his day to cook, mine to clean up.

This afternoon I will work on the book I'm writing.

I have everything I need or want including appliances like a washing machine, dish washer, stove top, oven, food processor, television, printer, lap tops, hair dryer, etc. We even have a warmer for our towels for when we get out of our hot showers.

I have more than enough clothes, mostly jeans and a few "good" outfits when needed.

We have a used car, but where we live we could get by on public transportation. Sometimes days or even weeks go by without using it. 

I have the medicine I need to keep my blood pressure down and my bones from giving into osteoporosis. 

Most importantly I have my husband and daughter whom I adore and friends that I treasure. I have wonderful memories of those I lost.

We have everything we need or could possibly want. I can't forget how lucky I am. That I am not a refugee in Gaza or the Ukraine is only an accident by birth. 

Wishes do not make the insanity of war go away. There are so many people who have lost everything through their accidents of birth in the wrong place at the wrong times.

Along with awareness of all that I have, all that they have lost is the frustration that I can do nothing to change their horror. It's not guilt I feel but a sadness that goes deep within me.




No comments: