Friday, December 29, 2023

Imaginary Friends

As a child, I had an imaginary friend, Booboo. He, for he was a he, went every where with me. He eventually disappeared. I know more about him from stories I was told by my parents and grandparents, all who accepted BooBoo as real as I did.

Even as an old lady, I have imaginary friends, characters from reoccurring series in books. That realization came to me, with my Christmas Eve book, one of Alexander McCall Smith, 44 Scotland Street Series, The Bertie Project. 

What a delight. I had thought the series had ended. 

There was poor little Bertie with his domineering mother Irene. I was thrilled that his father Stuart is having an affair. I hope he leaves Irene.

Bruce is still a narcissist with a new Australian girl friend.

Even Cyril, the dog with the golden tooth, reappears.

All the other characters are there, like old friends at a long-awaited reunion.

Louise Penny's Three Pines site for her mystery series created a village where I want to visit regularly to see my old friends, not just the two detectives Gamache and  Jean-Guy. I think of Jean-Guy with the French pronunciation Shawn GKee. 

There was Ruth, the drunken poet with Rosa her duck who regularly makes obscene comments, the book store owner, the gay owners of the B&B, Clare, the artist who comes into her own. All friends of mine.

Throughout the series, the characters develop and change, much like my real friends have over the years.

This series should never be read when hungry because there are referrals to hot croissants, pot au feu and many other dishes that are mouth watering.

As for the village of Three Pines, I see it, feel it. When I read one set in winter on a hot day, I felt chilled and half expect to need hat, coat and gloves when I went out for my own morning, fresh-baked croissants.

As a writer, I appreciate these people in my life. My own characters, especially as I'm writing a book become guests in my home. Annie, Roger, Annie's parents, Brenda and so many others sit on my couch as I move them through my laptop onto pages. 

These characters are so real, I almost feel I can ask them to make us a cup of tea or the dog needs walking, could they run him outside. When I had to kill off one character, my lovable husband wanted me to wait until he was home. He knows I feel sadness when I have to dispose of someone for the sake of the story.

There are other series or novels with sequels where the ongoing characters I follow with vivid interest. Even if the book is a single edition, the people inhabiting the pages become part of my life for whatever time it takes to finish the book. They give my already full, happy life, another dimension.

Unlike Booboo's disappearance, I know what happens to my book friends, good and bad. 

Visit D-L's website at www.dlnelsonwriter.com

 

No comments: