Thursday, May 06, 2021

Liz Cheney

 

Anyone who knows me considers me left. Don't stop reading because I said left. Not listening to anyone with a label is part of the problem the U.S. has.

I've been asked, usually by people in the American bubble, if I am a communist. 

Answer: No, I'm not

I'm a communications person, a writer, who when I listen to news casts and read news from many countries (US, Canada, England, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Germany, etc.), I weigh how the words were selected and used. Because of the variety of news sources, I may have a different perspective than people who only have one or two sources. 

I was sickened on January 6 at the insurrection in my birth country.

Raised in a middle-upper-middle class mainly Republican community, I have the values pounded into me by the propaganda I was fed. Most of the values, I still hold, but after living in several other countries, reading of autobiographies, biographies, economics (yuck), history perspectives and listening to many of the people* who have lived through what the books and documentaries are about, I'm even more determined to combine my values with reality to form a perspective.

I've not been a fan of Liz Cheney. I don't blame her for being her father's daughter. I disagreed with many/most of her votes.

However, I have nothing but admiration for her in standing up for the truth. Of course, the other side believes in their truth.

Why do I think she speaks the real truth not the truth manufactured by politicians and manipulated through media?

I believe she speaks the truth for statements from a whole herd of horses mouths calling for insurrection indirectly and directly. Because I believe in the verdicts of all the court cases that believed the election was not fraudulent. Because I believe news reporters from countries all over the world, who have no political axe to grind (hate writers who use clichés, but that one works well) who were there don't believe the lies. Because I see other politicians flip flop back and forth. 

Don't they know they were recorded saying the exact opposite just a couple of days before?

I admire that she is probably ending her political career and she is too intelligent not to know it. From her editorial in the Washington Post: "I am a conservative Republican, and the most conservative of conservative values is reverence for the rule of law. Each of us swears an oath before God to uphold our Constitution. The electoral college has spoken. More than 60 state and federal courts, including multiple Trump-appointed judges, have rejected the former president’s arguments, and refused to overturn election results. That is the rule of law; that is our constitutional system for resolving claims of election fraud."

She is putting truth before party.

It is too much to hope for that all politicians put their constituents and truth before the party? I'm sick of them all and sickened by them. 

It scares me when I see my birth country coming apart and the last thing it needs are liars manipulating the population for their own power battles when there is so much work to be done to make America really live up to the values I was taught by my parents and through out my public school education. Even if those could be tinged with wishful thinking, they are a great goal to work toward.

Thank you Liz.

*It is one thing to read about the Holocaust and another to help a colleague write her memoir about her mother being snatched by the SS on a street in Evian and sent to a concentration camp. I was taught belly dancing by a Palestinian woman who described the conditions in her homeland. A man told me how he was outside Nuremberg and watched the Americans bomb his city. 


 

No comments: