Thursday, June 03, 2021

Brother's and Sister's keeper


The phrase "Am I my brother's keeper," first appeared in the Bible. It's meaning both then and now can be taken several ways.

Many people say no and many have a variation of "I've got mine, tough luck to everyone else." Don't you dare let an immigrant in. Poor? It's your own fault. Why should I pay to educate a kid that isn't mine.

Am I my brothers/sisters keeper?

I am my brother's and sisters keeper.

I know I can't save the world. If I could, there would be no kids in cages on the border, no need for refugee camps. Everyone would have a roof over their heads, food in their bellies, and a way to make money to cover their basic expenses.

I don't have that power.

I have the means to do little things.

I can pick up a paper thrown on a sidewalk so someone else won't have to do it.

I can perform small acts of kindness.

I can give money to a beggar.

I can volunteer for different charities.

We have a friend who every Christmas collects hats, mittens, toothpaste, sanitary products, etc. and makes up bags. On Christmas day she and her daughters hands them out to 25 homeless women she finds at random on city streets. I feel honored to know her.

These small acts don't make us their keepers...maybe we are their borrowers of their pain for a short time and that's all we can do. If everyone was like that maybe there would be just a little less hate in the world.


No comments: