Sunday, March 12, 2023

I voted

 



 I voted today, although I was afraid I might not be able to.

I'd received my mail-in voting package mid February, plenty of time to mail it in. Every citizen gets one. In fact, they day I was sworn in as a new citizen, a voting package was on my seat. 

It contains, ballot, ballot envelope, verification card, pre-paid envelope, a booklet explaining the issue pros and cons and list of  the stance of the 37 parties. That booklet, depending on the number of issues, can take hours to read.

The Swiss vote a minimum of four times a year on all sorts of issues from retirement age, air force plane purchases to allowing cows to keep their horns. Citizens can easily get something on those ballots with enough signatures or to override something parliament did.

Votation stations are open in every commune from 10-12.

My ballot package game to my old commune. Then on 1 March we moved to a new commune. Two days later we switched our legal registration to the new commune.

Where, oh where, would I take my ballot since it was too late to mail it and even if I did was the change of address a problem?

We tried the new commune. My verification number on the ballot was for my old commune. I showed them my ID, and they told me to go to my old commune. They offered Rick and I coffee.

At my old commune, they verified who I was and the number of the old commune on the verification card. The ballot is always in a separate sealed envelope.

Once they approved the verification card and my Swiss Identity card I was told to put the ballot envelope in the ballot box which was guarded by a young woman wearing a Boston sweatshirt.

Rick, although as a new citizen won't be able to vote until the next time, and I were both offered tea or coffee and croissants.

No comments: