Thursday, July 06, 2023

19 minutes of beauty

 

On the 19 minute drive thru the Swiss countryside from our village to the village where we would lunch, the lyrics "amber waves of grain," kept running thru my head along with the melody of a song I'd sung from my childhood.

 


There were majestic purple mountains too. The Alps can sport many different colors depending on season, weather and time of day. My favorite is on the walk down the hill to our flat.

We passed fruited plains: apple orchards and vineyards were laden with their goodies that are several weeks from the vendage (harvest).  

Sea to shining sea doesn't fit a landlocked country, but the lakes shine through out the country. I think of Sarah Palin saying she could see Russia from her home. Well, in my last home, a few minutes walk to the lake, let me see France.

As for brotherhood? My birth country seems to be spouting hatred and corruption in the highest places. My new country, although far from perfect, works with less vitriol and far less violence.

Vitriol and violence aside, the melody kept singing in my head until we reached our destination. We turned into the underground garage, eliminating the spectacular beauty of the past 19 minutes.

No comments: