Saturday, July 01, 2023

Incredible women -- Maura

Maura O'Connor D'Orlando is Brenda's second interview for the book she is writing about four single moms supporting each other. I originally created the interview to help me define my characters but then added the interviewer as a major character along with the interview. Day Care Moms can be bought thru on-line bookstores in e-book format or paperback. I've introduced Anne De Ruvo on my blog June 21. I'll introduce the other two moms over the next week or so.

Brenda Ainsworth

Maura O'Connor D'Orlando is my second interview for DayCare. She’s more than willing to talk with me, but explains her daughter is in the hospital again although she should be released tomorrow.

Again?

I offer to meet her there and drive from Boston to Winchester Hospital.

Maura is what my mother used to describe as “having the map of Ireland on her face.” My mother was first-generation Irish and could spot a compatriot anywhere, anytime. I never understood why she cared, but she did.

A waiting room is outside the pediatric ward. An orderly wheels a child on a gurney to who knows where. I can see the nurses’ station through the glass wall.

Maura extends her hand. It’s a firm handshake. She wants to know if I want coffee. I say only if she does. She does. I believe her: she looks tired.

Me: How is your daughter?

MOCDO: They've stopped the vomiting. As usual, she'll have to stay until she's no longer dehydrated, and they’re sure she’ll keep things down. Hopefully she’ll be able to go to school day after tomorrow and then do the Friday night sleepover. She would hate to miss that.

Me: (Two questions come to mind) What causes it?

MOCDO: I don't know. I just wish I could get the doctors to take it more seriously. I mean, this happens every few weeks. The last attack was only two weeks ago.

Me: Isn't it hard to work when she's in the hospital so often?

MOCDO: I suppose I am lucky that my boss is somewhat understanding as long as I can figure out a way to get all my work done. Probably because he had a kid that had cancer once. Thank God his son has been clean for six years now. Anyway, I will go into the office after I leave here and do what I can.

Me: Where do you work?

MOCDO: At a real estate agency. Only job I've ever had. We couldn't afford for me to go to college. My dream was be a photographer, but that wasn't practical. I'm trying to get my real estate license to make more money. That's practical.

Me: What about your husband?

MOCDO: Ex-husband. He left me for another woman. Not even a younger one. Can you imagine? She's three years older than he is.

Me: That's tough.

MOCDO: He's almost good with support payments. He doesn't see Violet much and I suspect he sees her only because his mother, a good Italian mama, would kill him if he didn't.

Me: How did you meet him?

MOCDO: He was two years ahead of me in high school. Teenage hormones and all that. I should have listened to my family when they said he wasn't good husband material.

Me: What does he do?

MOCDO: He's a hairdresser. Has his own salon. It does okay.

Me: What about your family?

MOCDO: My Mom and Dad are great. Good Irish Catholics. They help financially when they can. I don't like to ask too often because they've scraped for everything they have. My sister and brother resent them helping me, but they’re doing much better financially than I am.

Me: What do you think about ...

Before Maura can answer, the doctor comes out of Violet's room and says she can go back in. I thank her for her time and wish her luck. She smiles, but it is a tired smile. I want to hug her and wish her courage but that would slow her getting back to her daughter.

As I am driving back into Boston, I realize I forgot to ask about the Friday night sleepovers.

To do this book right, I need to spend more time with these women. I wonder if they would let me sit in on their get-togethers.

No comments: