Thursday, July 20, 2023

Corsets, a thing of the past

 

For no logical reason I thought of my grandmother's corsets this morning. 

There was nothing sexy in her corset. They were beige and looked a bit like cardboard. She wore it from getting dressed until she traded it for her nightgown.

All her friends wore them into the 1960s. They wore house dresses and sensible black shoes that tied and had one inch heels. They were only slightly different from men's shoes. It was what older ladies did in my New England hometown.

I'm older now than they were then. No corset for me, not even the sexier ones. I only wear a bra for balance having had one boob lobbed off before it could kill me. At least my underwear is color co-ordinated and feminine.

I can't imagine my grandmother or any of her friends wearing my jeans or my t-shirt saying "I'm wicked Smaht-Boston" or any of my t-shirts.

I'm grateful that I'm not bound by rigid standards or the discomfort of a corset.

No comments: