Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Hugs and Covid

 

I did not come from a huggy family. My first real exposure to hugs was with another family. Their daughter became my roommate and best friend for years.

These were serious hugs. 

After my daughter was born we were give her a double or triple hug and call it an EMC (Early Morning Cuddle) before leaving for day care.

My second major hugger was an anthropologist friend. A big woman, she totally engulfed her hugée.

I became a hugger, using them for any of the good reasons for hugs:

  • Romantic
  • Comfort
  • Reassurance
  • Greeting
  • Farewell
  • Just because
  • All of the above

Moving to Europe, hugs were often replaced by two-cheek (Southern France) or three-cheek kisses (Swiss Romand-French speaking) sometimes accompanied by a handshake.

The son of one of my friends, a great teddy bear of a man, also gives hugs that one can sink into and feel any tension disappearing.

Hugs, handshakes and cheek kisses have disappeared with the arrival of Covid-19. Elbow pumping does not carry the same emotion.

I miss them. I miss them big time. Thank goodness the virus does not prevent my husband and I hugging.

I visualize when my daughter finally finds it safe to visit from the States, I imagine instead of sweeping her into my arms, I elbow bump her. Of course, having her face to face in person will be wonderful even hug-free.

Studies have proven hugs are good for the health. Allegedly they increase the amount of oxytocin, which I'm told is a hormone that lowers the risks of heart disease. It decreases the heart rate as well as decreasing blood pressure.

Science aside, hugs feel good. Some day we can hug again.

 

1 comment:

Maria said...

Great reading youur blog