Tuesday, December 22, 2020

The interview

 


"His chest is hairy." I was watching an interview on a newscast. The interviewee had the top button of his shirt open revealing very black and thick hair.

"Huh?" my husband said.

Since we are both journalists or have been at different times in our lives, we are supposed to notice things. Maybe because I write fiction too www.donnalanenelson.com I notice more. 

Having done webinars and virtual conferences, my husband is aware of the importance of background, which doesn't mean he pays as much attention to the background of others as I do.

As for me, I love those home interviews and spend more energy examining the background than listening to what is being said. 

For example Dick Gregory of CNN has an open plan kitchen with a very cozy sitting area to the left. Richard Quest, also of CNN, had a stuffed animal on his couch. Fred Pleitgen has unusual drapery material and interesting artwork. He's back on the road now. Sigh. I wanted to check out the art in more detail.

As a reader I try and see as many titles as I possibly can on the bookshelves behind the speaker. This is often difficult. I almost want to message them to only buy books with large type on the binder. Some have messy bookcases, some are frighteningly neat.

Some have no books, but one interviewee had a beautiful purple orchid.

We looked into the back garden of another.

There are those that dress up, those that dress casually, but who knows what they are wearing below the waist.

I imagine prior to the interview the interviewee goes around and cleans up the area that will be visible. 


My all time favorite is the one above with the kids interrupting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh4f9AYRCZY Even before she came in, I noticed he had a map, not books visible and the area to the left looked like he had stacked source material. Then I learned how cute his kids were and finally his wife (who was mistaken for a nanny) tried to sneak in to get the kids out.

I understand because often when my husband is on a business call or an on-line meeting, it is my job to keep Sherlock, our pup, from barking.

I've been asked about doing an interview in the new year about my writing. I am already trying to decide the best background. Artwork? Bookcase? As the French say, On verra, we'll see.




 


No comments: