Saturday, December 05, 2020

Toilet paper hoarding

 I can picture myself standing up a meeting of Toilet Paper Hoarders Anonymous.


The meeting would be held in a church basement. I would stand up to speak and this is what I would say.

I'm D-L and I'm a toilet paper hoarder.

The people would respond, "Welcome D-L."

Nervously, I would begin to talk.

I guess hoarding goes back to when I was an Army bride living in Germany. We were always on the brink of not having enough money for the end of the month. Any month I had anything left over, I would buy rice, pasta and toilet paper to get us through to payday.

My hoarding has nothing to do with panic buying of 2020 because of lock downs and the Covoid-19 virus. It's the desire to know I can go at least a week with enough toilet paper even if attacked by diarrhea.

My husband has a sense of humor. Once when I was away, I came home to find the bathroom full of toilet paper.

How much is full, you may ask?

Enough to last six months and have to walk sideways to the toilet because so much toilet paper was up against the wall.

We don't worry about the shortages because we stay on top of potential short falls.

We have  a Plan B, too. 

When I was in Damascus I was impressed with a hose to wash one's self. It was only necessary to use a sheet to pat a clean body dry and the sheet was then deposited into a trash container near the toilet. We had one installed. 

I can only imagine how long it would have taken to use up my husband's bathroom full of toilet paper.


No comments: