Thursday, November 10, 2022

Independence

Before Rick and I were married several friends and my daughter warned him not to curb my independence. My daughter added that I'd steal his socks.

Twice in our married life, I've surrender my independence. Once was because chemo laid me low. The other was last week when I tripped and hit my head. A nurse comes in to change the bandages each day (We are in France where this is considered normal). 

Because I get dizzy spells, my wonderful husband has taken over all the household chores. Under normal circumstances we share them. 

Rick has done a blog on what he's discovering. https://lovinglifeineurope.blogspot.com/2022/11/hoovering-and-hovering.html

 I will admit I'm semi OCD when it comes to household chores wanting everything on the surface to be mega neat (we won't discuss closets which can be life threatening if opened). I see spots that need to be wiped up, etc. Still between the two of us we keep things in pretty good order. Household stuff can take time away from other things we want to do, which includes reading, writing, exploring, seeing friends, café sits, etc.

There is something wonderful about being relieved of all those regular daily chores while I do feel guilty that he is shouldering them.

He does hover. I tease him that he is a helicopter husband. There is a comfort knowing he is hovering. I'm looking forward to getting the stitches out, getting back to Geneva, and my taking my share of the household responsibilities once again. This doesn't stop me from enjoying having the extra time for writing and reading.

My daughter was wrong, however. I don't steal his socks. Maybe it is because I know have decorator socks featuring different motifs.

 

No comments: