Sunday, November 13, 2022

Nov. 13 FlashNano2022 The restaurant bill

 

Nov: 30 Flashnano2022 Write a story Day 13: It's your birthday and your date 

has left you at the restaurant with an expensive bill. 

“Champagne to wish you happy birthday?” Jack says. I’d forgotten how cute he was with his curly hair and rosy cheeks. In a way, I regretted breaking up with him, a year ago today.

The waiter brought a bottle of Moet & Chandon followed by the shrimp starter. It was so artfully arranged, I almost didn’t eat it. Almost.

“Don’t be afraid of the cost,” Jack said. He order filet mignon which had been flambéed in Cointreau and flavored with a chutney. I had baked stuffed lobster, a three pounder.

I was beginning to regret breaking up with Jack. We had a lot of fun together, he was great in bed. It wasn’t his rare temper tantrums that made me do it. I wasn’t ready to settle down, and I had just gotten this new job that came with travel to the company offices in Montreal, London, Paris, Geneva and even Singapore. I’d always wanted to travel and this was the way I could do it free while earning the largest salary I’d ever had.

He'd been upset. Before he slammed out of my flat, he pulled the tablecloth off the table shattering all the dishes and glasses on the table I’d carefully set for my own birthday meal.

Thus when he called last week, asking if he could treat me to a birthday dinner at the International Hotel with its world famous chef, I couldn’t resist.

“I’m glad you said you’d come. Ending it the way we did . . . well it just didn’t feel right . . . sorta unfinished business.”

He told me he was happy that I loved my new job before he excused himself to go the toilet.

I waited a good 15 minutes for him to come back. Instead the waiter came over and handed my an envelope.

Inside was the bill along with a note: “Revenge, the sweetest morsel to the mouth that ever was cooked in hell.” Walter Scott

No comments: