Saturday, October 03, 2026

Yesterday and today...

 


Yesterday I made an apple pie with apples from the garden of our Swiss neighbors and brought as a gift to our French village.  

I missed the bird cookie cutter that I use to use to decorate pies. It had belonged to my great grandmother, but two Christmases ago I gave it to my daughter who teared up when she saw it.

Rick and I alternate cooking days. I suggested I "cook" at La Gamate., a favorite restaurant in walking distance. Sherlock's sad eyes convinced us he should go too, and also once there we should slip him pieces of my calamari and Rick's pizza.

I used the towel warmer for the first time since May, making it a lovely end to my shower.  

During the afternoon I wrote and read. One of my books 100 Year of History of Palestine is difficult because it raises the emotions of anger at the abuse the people of Gaza have taken at the hands of the world. I need a lighter work for balance.

 

At seven we went to the official opening of a new store. The owners had two stores opposite that sold perfumes, unusual and beautiful candles. The store doubled as a café. The new store offers gourmet food and spices. They will make great gifts and a treat for ourselves. I'm looking forward to the multi-colored pasta and I'm sure Rick will enjoy the chocolate packages for flavored cocoa. 

Back home we watched Matlock on TV before crawling into bed to read. 

Before we fell asleep, Rick told me about Sherlock's reunion with Paddy, an Irish white fluff of a dog, his best bud. The dog had been in Ireland for the summer and we were in Geneva.

Today instead of reading in bed when Rick walked Sherlock, I decided to go.  

It's marché day and the vendors are setting up their stands. Rick uses a different route so the dog will not get in the way nor pee on the merchandise.

A necessary stop is under the orange umbrella. Catherine makes the worlds second best brownies. My former housemate and family member of choice, makes the world's best. Not only are here brownies wonderful, she makes breakfast tarts. She had a new product made with products from her garden. 

While I write, Rick fulfills his inner gardening urge. The village houses were constructed over the last 500 years. They touch. The streets are narrow.

Back home I will devote the day to reading, writing and just enjoying being with my husband and dog. We may go to the village to order cheese for fondue. There are other preparations for guests, friends since the 90s who like so many Americans are fleeing the US. 

They aren't staying with us, but we want to spend time with them, listen to their story. 

Rick Maybe we will do a café sit this afternoon. 

No comments: