Wednesday, February 09, 2022

Dandelion Lover

 

 


 I've always loved dandelions.  Sure, sure, sure...I know most people think they are weeds that destroy their pristine (but often boring) plain grass gardens.

When I see a profusion of dandelions I see sunshine that has come to earth to cheer me. Okay, that's a little egoistic. I doubt if any dandelion takes my feelings into consideration.

When they turn to white fluff, it is an example of survival, the bravery of continuation of life. It tells me next year there will be even more sunshine on my lawn. When there's a wind seeing the pieces of the dandelion, little white angels, flying free shows me joy.

What's a weed anyway? 

Merriman-Webster calls a weed a plant that is not valued where it is growing and is usually of vigorous growth. Maybe there's an analogy to racism, the fear the white supremacists have of minorities. In that case, they should love the dandelion for becoming white at their end.

I wonder how many people hate dandelions just because the crowd does without thinking of the dandelion as having a beauty in their own right. Could it be a lesson to think for one's self rather than follow the crowd?

I suppose it would be crass to mention besides the beauty of the bloom, the leaves make a great salad green. They offer vitamins A, C, E, K plus small amounts of various Bs.They provide fiber so besides giving nourishment to our vision, they can give nourishment to our bodies.

It is February a few weeks away from when dandelions will once again bring me pleasure. Something to look forward to.



No comments: