Sunday, February 27, 2022

 

I was always jealous of the writer Marge Piercy not just because she was a good writer whose books and poetry I loved, but because she was married to a writer. And then there's Nikki French, a husband and wife team who collaborate. I was jealous of them too.

I've been extraordinarily lucky with writing support: The Geneva Writer's Group, the Masters program at Glamorgan University in Wales, My writing mate Sylvia Petter, and my eagle-eyed housemate Julia S-L. So many writers have to slog through a manuscript with no support.

Then 10 years ago I rediscovered Rick Adams, who was a writer too. I won't use the cherry on the cake cliché, but having a writer living under your roof, of working just a desk visible from my desk 24/7 has been priceless. And he's a great husband

Today, we were going through what we hope is the final proof on Lexington: Anatomy of a Novel. It is three stories in one: James, a British soldier caught up in the American Revolution and Daphne, wife of the British Counsel General in present-day Boston. The third part is my notes on how the novel developed.

I've long-held belief that within every written piece: news article, corporate brochure, thesis, short story, book, etc. exists a gremlin. His soul mission in life is to take perfect writing and add typos mess up a margin, change the continuity and do whatever damage he can do. I know my literary gremlin has followed me from Boston to France to Switzerland.

Today Rick and I did the final (I hope) proof of my new novel. Italics seemed to have disappeared, fonts were changed, etc.

What an utter joy to have him by my side (with Sherlock the dog between us) to go over it word for word. His suggestions, both technical and literary, as always are right on. It took several hours. There was room for jokes and laughter. I am 99% sure we got them all.

The corrections have been sent to the publisher. I suggested to the gremlin he take a holiday.


 

No comments: