Monday, February 14, 2022

Superbowl Geneva Style

 


The Superbowl isn't a big thing in Geneva. Sometimes certain bars will show it for American expats. The word Pats to me is Bostonian for the Patriots also. 

Even when I lived in Boston, Superbowl parties weren't a big thing among my friends, although a favorite memory was when my coworkers held one when the Pats were playing. I forgot who won, but I suspect they won, because they are the Pats. I do remember "Sink the Fish" was the battle cry (could have been another game). The nibblies were great.

As a kid, high school football games on Saturday afternoons were the rule. We wore Black and Red clothes, our school colors. Because of that, football is one of the few sports I enjoy watching if it isn't too often.

"Let's watch it," I said when my husband mentioned one of the BBC stations we get were carrying it. It started at 12:30 a.m. or 00:30 on Monday morning. 

Rick came across the adverts on the internet which we watched in preparation of our bringing a bit of America into our Geneva home. I didn't recognize most of the celebrities and in some of the pub, I couldn't even figure out what the product was. I will call myself a COW, Cranky Old Woman, when most of them struck me as stupid. 

That hasn't always been the case. The Budweiser 9/11 advert had made me cry when I first saw it. It still brings tears to my eyes.

This is the first time when I watched a sport, I had no preference on who the winner should be. I didn't know any of the players, but by the end of the game I did, thanks to the men that the BBC had sitting in chairs commenting. I suspect all but the Brit were NFL players or former players.

If they broadcast the entertainment, I slept through it. We were watching from the coziness of our bed. I was awake to see all but one of the touchdowns.

No nibblies. 

Still fun.



 

No comments: