Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Finding a place to eat

 

"You eat Kermit," my daughter said, after I ordered.

"You eat Miss Piggy," I replied.

That was a couple of decades ago. And during that time I didn't have any more frog legs. I kept thinking of the cartoon I once saw with little frogs escaping from a restaurant kitchen in wheelchairs. I also say very few frog legs on menus either near Geneva or Argelès.

Sunday, we were coming up from Argelès to Geneva via the French autoroute. In past years we would stop at the rest stops with their many restaurants, but now that we had Sherlock, dogs aren't allowed like they are in most French restaurants.

Rather than buy sandwiches and eat at the picnic tables in the heat, we decided to leave the road and travel parallel to the autoroute through little villages.

Only there weren't many villages. One place we passed through had several traffic lights. The village was full of pizza places but we wanted a meal.

Then at the side of the road when we were back on a country road across from a factory, we spied a unicorn statue on a restaurant terrace and auberge. They said every thing was home cooked. 

The dog was welcomed. 

The waiter brought menus on an iPad that which we were able to use to order.

Gazpacho, definitely. They also had frog legs, (they said it was a regional specialty) which I passed for the menu du jour. And they had my favorite dessert, Iles de flouant.  

Back on the road, we located the autoroute, tummies full.



No comments: