Thursday, June 02, 2022

Earth Stars

 

EARTH STARS

 


Stars fall to earth, call us

to play at evening’s dusk.

My brother and I race,

Skippy jars in hand,

their lids pierced with holes

and grass for the star’s nest.

 

The earth is hot through our sneakers

the pines hold their breath.

 

When I catch one, it is not hurt

But tickles my hand.

 

“I’ve more than you,” he says.

 

We always fight

For the biggest and best,

Count the jimmies on our cones.

The victor gloats.

The loser plots revenge.

 

“Bedtime,” My mother calls.

 

I carry my flickering jar,

set it by my bed.

If they would light at the same time,

I could read by their light.

Tomorrow night, I’ll catch more.

 

In the morning little bodies

Dot the grass.

 

I flick my nail against the glass.

 

Nothing.

 

Maybe stars should stay in the sky.

No comments: