Sunday, June 19, 2022

My 45 birthday paved the way for the next 35 years


 My 45th birthday.

I had just made an offer on this studio in the grenier (attic) of a 400 year old building in the village of Argelès-sur-mer, France.


My dream. To retire in France. To have a studio. To own as little as possible.

The studio because of the strength of the dollar put the cost at $18,000.

Because I spoke no French at the time, a French friend helped me. I flew from Boston and he had five days of visitations arranged.

On the third day, I walked up the stairs and knew. That was it with its beams, skylight, fireplace.

This week while looking through papers, I found this photo of me saying "Oui. Je le acheterai."

I showed it to Rick. We both realized that 35 years later I still had the same dress, which I was wearing that day. I think of my clothes as friends and may update but won't throw out if I still like it.

 


                                                         
 The Nest furnished. 

My plans to retire there only half worked. I now live part time in Switzerland, part time in France. Because Rick came back into my life, it was too small for two (perfect for me alone). For when I'm in France we rent a lovely flat two doors down.

What happened to the studio, named The Nest? It is a guest room for people we like. We use it for internet interviews. Sometimes if our guests are more than two, we sleep there and turn our other flat over to them. 

We did think about making it a B&B but I'm a bad business woman. I don't want to make money on something that I love so much and is a part of my heart. It was an investment in a life I wanted to live, not to enhance my bank account.



No comments: