Friday, June 24, 2022

Seeking simplicity

 


 More and more, each and every day I want my life to be as simple as possible. Silly me.

Yesterday we had a long to-do list which involved running around. 

First stop was a success. We walked into the bank, said hi to our favorite teller, admired her decorated nails and went on our way.

From then on it was a repeat of most of our dealings, nothing but problems. We are used to codes that don't work, things that were said to be done that weren't. After hours of trying on line we went to the bank and were told we had to call customer service.

Having recently experienced customer service long holds (59 minutes, to be greeted by a "Bonjour" and then a disconnect click), we were underwhelmed.

I have loved the ease computers have brought into my life, but lately the complications, the safeguards (partially from me, I think) and just plain stupidity, does not endear me. I think of spending a good deal of time ordering my husband's birthday on line only to be told that they no longer shipped to my country. They would not let me reorder when I went back online to have it shipped to my daughter in the same country as the vendor.

It's not just technology. It has taken a year to close another bank account. We've tried internet, letters, emails and in-person visits. I suppose bombs would be illegal and might not even work.

On the flip side of frustration was an outdoor lunch, a pleasant walk "window licking" which is a translation of the French for window shopping, We discovered the food court within the renovated Confederation Centre and glory, glory, one of the vendors sells lobster rolls for another time. There is always feelings from pleasure to joy doing things with my husband.

The rain waited until we were in the car. The sky was the most unusual color of gray and against the green leaves, created a beauty that was soul-soothing. The colors in the photo are somewhat muted. We noticed the lake had changed color from the earlier almost teal blue to silver.,

This morning was filled with simple joys. Still in bed, my husband briefed me on what I had missed of last night's hearing when I fell asleep. We each read, often sharing good writing with one another. 

The dog was between us looking like his usual adorable self. Later we were amused by the dog, when ready to go out, balked when he saw it was raining. His sphincter muscles that control his body functions have amazing control in wet weather.

I love those days when expectations are a cup of tea, writing time, a book, maybe a good movie on Netflix, a yummy meal. Obligations can be as simple as laundry's sweet smell when it dries on the patio. The sunlight streaming through the curtains with the hearts casting love shadows on the wall.

I love it when I'm out and I can observe things around me: a child, a couple holding hands, a dog, a flower. I do not want to miss the life around me. It gives me strength, feeds my soul and at least ammunition for whatever I may be writing or will write.

I want to be feel the sun on my face or the relief of shade and be aware of it with every cell in my body.

I want to reduce my possessions that need to be dusted and/or stored while keeping only the things I love, are useful or have a precious memory. Also my husband's pizza cutter, which is a joke between us. I don't want to lose the ability to see the funny side in things.

When I want to do business with the outside world, I want it to be simple, choose it, pay for it, get it. 

I really enjoy my friends and want to spend time with them, but I also need days alone (or alone with my husband and dog) to savor my home. It's true, when I walk through my flat, my eyes take in its serenity and I feel at peace with the world. It not only helps me be me, it keeps me sane.



No comments: