Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Showering with a moth

 

 


15 years ago there was nary a moth in Argelès. Over the years they have become more and more plentiful, invading almost anything not in a glass container during the summer. We do try to put most food in mason jars as soon as we bring it into the house.

I don't know what kind of moths of the 160,000 varieties is. I do know they are the type that prefers food to wool so my winter clothes are safe even if my flour, oatmeal, rice in packages is not.

We put up sticky cards and usually within a week or so they are full.

One card is in the bathroom.

"Why is their toilet paper on the moth trap?" my husband asked.

"I was sitting on the toilet, and I saw it land. I didn't want it to suffer. I didn't want to touch the sticky stuff so I used toilet paper for the execution." My kindness to moths is limited.

We have three new cards up that are rapidly filling. I have not been dive bombed for a few days so, I guess it's working EXCEPT as I turned in the shower, there was a moth with me.

I took down the shower nozzle and tried to catch, thinking a quick drowning death would not be that cruel.

There was a tiny gap between the shower curtain and the wall. The moth used it to escape. 

I was not about to get out of the shower and shepherd it to the sticky card. Let it take its own chances.

 

No comments: