Saturday, September 17, 2022

Overcoming Writers Block

 

OVERCOMING WRITER’S BLOCK

 


I want to write, I said,

Although I could not read.

I knew squiggles on a page

Unlocking a mystery.

 

A writer paced floors, thought

Great thoughts, sat a table,

Dipped quill pen in ink,

Made mysteries and magic.

 

I want to write, I said.

Devoured books. Stories of

kings and queens danced

in my head.

 

Strong girls solved crimes, 

animals talked, straggly trees

grew statuesque

metaphors for something else.

 

I want to write, I said.

Waited for love,

looked at white paper

wondered where the words went.

 

I gathered diplomas and

paychecks. Grew a child.

Words sang their song that

only I could hear.

 

I want to write, I said,

once too often to a friend.

She looked at me.

“Who is stopping you?”

 

I had stopped me. Instead of

a quill pen, a computer creates squiggles

making magic, mysteries and magic.

No comments: