Monday, September 05, 2022

Chick lit and books

 


I'm not sure about the definition. Chick Lit to me can be serious as well. Along with other genres such as the TCK Mysteries, a thriller, non fiction about breast cancer and abortion, I've written Chick Lit: 

  • Chickpea Lover: Not a Cookbook
  • The Card
  • Family Value

Each had a serious component just as my mysteries have a historical element:

  • Sexism at university 
  • Balance in relationships  
  • Corporate pollution       

Writing GOOD Chick Lit or even bad can be as much work as writing in any genre.    

I like reading good Chick Lit.

Why?

Because I love stories about people's lives. What challenges do they face. How do the handle them. Where are they.  Even routines can be of interest especially when they are interrupted.

Relationships intrigue me. Why people do this or that instead of that or this.

It is the same interest I have in real people:

  • What do they do
  • Why
  • How events shape their lives

I have the same interest in description in real life. My eyes are constantly recording my surroundings for:

  • Colors
  • Smells
  • body language
  • Weather
  • Buildings
  • Country
  • City
  • Locations 

Sometimes Chick Lit goes too far. Eye color, length of eye lashes for every character can be off putting. Sorta like Victorian literature which might describe every piece of furniture in a room where two or three would give the reader the necessary image.

My husband and I have overlapping reading interests but he is not a Chick Lit fan. He also is not a Chick Flick fan just like I don't like movies with long chase scenes. This is fine too.                     

No comments: