Monday, September 12, 2022

Cairns

 

 


My first Cairn was on a deserted road in Iceland. Our guide, a well-built woman in a typical Icelandic sweater, explained what they were. 

I was a slow learner since cairns have been around since the beginning of time. They are particularly prevalent in Scandinavia and Celtic countries.

They've been used for burials, memorials and route markers among other things, and especially as markers in Iceland, the guide explained.

Some years later, my new husband fell in love with building cairns. We have one on our patio in Geneva and another tiny one in the house on a stand.

 

This one is in Argeles on the way to the kitchen and bathroom in case we get lost on the way, I suppose.

What I love about this one is so many of the rocks we picked up on early morning beach walks with the dog. Picking up a stone and thinking it would be good for the cairn, is just plain fun.


No comments: