Sunday, February 19, 2023

Small, small world

 

Geneva is a city of about 200,000 people. It is 43% foreign from all nationalities. 

I'm not sure how many are Americans and of those I don't know how many are from Montana which has a population of about seven million. Not too many I guess.

In about 30 years in Switzerland, I've never met anyone from Montana.

I am too weak mathematically to figure out the odds.

I was at Pages and Sips, a new English bookstore and café in the Veille Ville, the old town.

The scones are wonderful. The book selection is wonderful.

On an earlier visit an Irishman picked up on my Boston accent. Today he was with a friend. That man was from Montana but had lived in Geneva for years.

He was talking about sending his daughter to school in Maine.

"Which school?" I asked.

"Hyde."

"My brother went there."

It's a small boarding school. Even being mathematically challenged, I know I'm right in saying that is almost statistically impossible.

1 comment:

Jane Risdon said...

I love incidences of 6 degrees of separation, it often happens but we always think it is rare. Montana is a gorgeous State, I loved it when I visited on tour with some of our rock and pop bands back in the day. Never been to Switzerland, but hubby was there with his band in the late 1960s and loved it. He was in Rougement, near Gstaad. How wonderful, to be living there - I would love it I am sure. Happy days, Jane x