Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Alexa stop it



Dear Alexa...

According to the Washington Post, Alexa, you've not only been eavesdropping on people who bought you, you've saved what you've heard.

The article writer said, "I listened to four years of my Alexa archive and found thousands of fragments of my life: spaghetti-timer requests, joking houseguests and random snippets of “Downton Abbey.” There were even sensitive conversations that somehow triggered Alexa’s “wake word” to start recording, including my family discussing medication and a friend conducting a business deal."

Like I used to tell the NSA when I wrote them -- here's what I've been  doing just in case they missed something.

Of course, Alexa, you never spied on me. Don't take it personally, but I never wanted you. It was just one more annoyance, another piece of clutter. I couldn't see that you would add anything to my life.

If Alexa had been listening in today, you would have realized:
  • We woke early to wash the sheets
  • Rick went to the doctor to get his golf medical certificate
  • We left for the airport to pick up the dog sitter
  • Sherlock met the dog sitter and liked her
  • Rick and I finished packing for Geneva and Stockholm
  • We said we were going to the Nest and the dog sitter took Sherlock for a walk so he wouldn't see us leave
  • Rick went back to the flat to look for my glasses
 I still never intend to buy you, but would you like if I issue regular reports on my activities to add to your files? And maybe in return you can tell me where my glasses went?

Sincerely,
Donna-Lane
 

No comments: