Friday, May 10, 2019

Meaning of words




Years ago, I was working with a Canadian in Switzerland. We were discussing the difference between Americans and Canadians. Canadians seem far less violent, kinder, more socially responsible to their society. I am not saying they are perfect.

Both D. and I tried to figure out why. It can't be migrants. There are more migrants in Canada 5.7 migrant(s)/1,000 population (2018 est.) than in the U.S.  3.8 migrant(s)/1,000 population (2018 est.)

Both countries have vast areas of undeveloped land, although the US population is about ten times that of Canada. There's space for the people of both countries.

Cold? I joked it was too cold in Canada to be nasty, but D assured me some people were nasty even during the worse winter.

"I think," he said. The seeds for the difference is in the two constitutions. The U.S. says, "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." It implies me, me, me, he added, but not in those exact works.

"Now take the Canadian Constitution which wants 'peace, order and good government.'” That implies there are values that take other people into consideration,

Maybe when I hear Americans say they don't want to pay for others' health care I see the me, me, me, you are on your own. I find Canadians I've talked to think it reasonable that health care for all means some of their tax dollars will go to help others and it will be there for them when they need it.

Of course this is all simplified. Even so, I do wish the US had more interest in peace, order and good government by action. Action is always more important than words.



 


 
 
  

No comments: