Friday, May 24, 2019

Mamies

When I first bought my place in Argelès, I was fascinated by the mamies. They were the older women maybe in their sixties and up who formed almost a subculture. They had lived in the same neighborhood since they were in diapers.

On good days, their chairs would be dragged in front of their houses on the narrow street and they would talk and talk. Beans were snapped, grandchildren watched, sewing and knitting done. They were clothed in what my own New England Yankee grandmother wore when she didn't leave her home, house dresses, multi colored and shapeless. They often wear aprons too, again like my grandmother.

Some 30 year later, there are few of the mamies left. One uses a walker to go a few feet from her house. She has dialysis three times a week. Another still makes it about town, but is often found sitting on her front step knitting. A third, whom I thought died, sometimes makes it as far as the corner. I remember the day she told me the history of each of the houses: this one was fisherman, that one had an olive grove.

The village has lost some of its fabric with the deaths of these women. Their daughters are more modern, busy with jobs and children. They will never bring their chairs and chores to the street and share their daily events with each other.

I am old enough to be mamie. My life has been different from theirs. I try and talk with them, but their Catalan-laden French is difficult for me to understand. They never mined repeating when my eyes show total incomprehension. I am accepted as someone who they will share with as they did their departed friends, but in passing, not while sitting in chairs.

I am lucky to have been a little part of their lives to see into a bygone world.


2 comments:

Felicity Nadim said...

i am Nadim and i want to thank Dr idahosa for bringing back my ex boyfriend, we broke up for more than 8 month and he told me that he will never want to see me in his life again. i love him so much to the extend that i could not think of dating any man again, i was confused and depress due to the love i had for him.i did everything i could do to have him come back to me but all went in vain. so i decided to contact a spell caster, i did not believe in spell casting i just want to try it may be it would work out for me. i contacted Dr idahosa for help,and he told me that he have to cast a love spell on him, i told him to do it. after 5 days my boyfriend called me and started to apologize for leaving me and also he told me that he still love me. i was very happy and i thank Dr idahosa for helping get back my ex back to my hands. his spell is the greatest of all over the world, it was the love spell he cast on my ex that make him come back to me. all you ladies who want back their ex back i want you to contact Dr idahosa for the return of your ex boyfriend and also your ex girlfriend he can also cast any kind of spell you want him to cast for you. his contact email is dridahosasolutioncenter@gmail.com or Whatsapp number+2348134261542, just try him and their will be a solution to your problems.

Florence charlott said...

i already gave up on ever getting cured of HSV2 because i have try many treatment none of them work out for me i have go to different hospital they always tell me same thing there is no cure for herpes when i came across a post about Dr ohunyom, in the net from a lady called Angela i contacted him and he reassured me with him herbal medicine which i took according to the way he instructed, that how i was cured. I doubted at first because i have been to a whole lot of reputable doctors, tried a lot of medicines but none was able to cure me. so i decided to listen to him and he commenced treatment, and under two weeks i was totally fee from #Herpes. i want to say a very big thank you to DR ohunyom for what he has done in my life. feel free to leave him a message on email drohunyom@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2349060579973..
He can still be able to help you with this herbs medicine:
1...ALS CURE/DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV CURE/LUPUS/HEPATITIS/CANCER/GOUT