Monday, July 26, 2021

Oreos

 


Growing up I didn't eat many Oreos. My grandmother kept our cookie jar filled with brown-edged, ginger, oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate and many other kinds of home-baked cookies. Bought cookies came from bakeries seldom from a manufacturer.

In 1990 when I moved to Switzerland, a friend mentioned Oreos, which were not available. I had such a craving for them, worse than a pregnant woman's craving for anything.

Once they became available, the craving went away. From time to time my husband would buy them and bring me one along with my morning cup of tea before I got up. Yes, I am spoiled.

About a month ago, he presented me with what I thought was an Oreo. The taste of chocolate exploded in my mouth. It looked like the real thing, except the flavor was a hundred times better. As it turned out it was a local store brand. 

Normally imitations are never better than the original. Not in this case. I want the fake not the authentic.

No comments: