Wednesday, July 07, 2021

Outdated?

 

I clicked on a Youtube that promised to show five ways your home was outdated.

Hmmm.

One was if you had blue wall-to-wall carpet. So 90s, they claimed.

Yuck.

The idea that it is necessary to go out and consume to look 2020s I find annoying.

My kitchen is outdated. I admit it.

The stonewalls are at least 300 years old. That's mega outdated.

The table is turn of the century...19th to 20th. I love thinking about all the people who sat around that table in the last 100+ years. I imagine all the things that were made on it.

I have no idea about the metal cabinet(s) nor tea tray. They were found by accident in shops, one of which was owned by friends. They solved a storage problem in a totally original way.

The picnic baskets were treasures found in vide greniers (flea markets). Memories of getting up Sunday mornings and exploring different places until we found what we wanted we can treasure each time we use them, although one basket was a gift from a friend who also found it at a vide grenier. That makes it a greater treasure.

The dog is relatively new 3 years 10 months. Put into my arms at a rescue center when he was three months old guaranteed we wouldn't leave without him.


 We are sure that the semi-circular red bricks were once the oven for the house. 

If we went back far enough, we suspect this floor was used for chickens, cattle, etc. before it was used as a kitchen. Our flat is the ground floor of a four-story house.

Paintings on both walls were done by a late friend.


My husband has suggested redoing this part of the kitchen. Never. I have everything I need and want. The open shelving reminds me of all the good things in my kitchen. 

Yes, my kitchen is dated by hundreds of years to the last few years for things like the dishwasher, stove tops  and ovens. I feel happy when I am in the kitchen. It is finally set up to be efficient as I need. I can think of no reason to spend money on changing it.

I also feel a certain amount of contentment that it is nothing like any other kitchen. I will never see it in a showroom or a magazine. It is 100% mine -- outdated or not.




No comments: