Saturday, July 03, 2021

Trust

 

Trust is a funny thing. It can't be bought. Trust doesn't stand alone. It connect with all other aspects of life.

I think of how people in a Miami condo trusted that when they went to bed, their building wouldn't collapse. They trusted builders, inspectors and their own board to protect them. 

Wrong.

What saddens me, is I'm not surprised. I used to have trust in lots of things, that I no longer do.

I've seen companies lie about safety, politicians switch stories at the on switch of a reporter's mike. I've seen my birth country's capital attack described as a tourist visit. 

I bought a Nikon camera. I trusted that it would last. It didn't. Within ten days the shutter no longer shut. I trusted the store would make good. It didn't.

I trusted Nikon would make good. It didn't.

What was sad, I'm no longer surprised when things don't work.I'm no longer surprised when no one cares to make things right.

It is society, companies, governments I don't trust. As far as governments are concerned, I haven't been surprised at their lies from Vietnam on. The more I read, the less surprised and sadder I become. It's not just my birth country, but all countries at one time or another.

Maybe I'm naive. What I still can trust is people, not all. I refuse not to trust until someone breaks that trust.

I trust my husband, I trust my daughter, I trust friends whom I know to be trustworthy not by their words, but their by their actions. Long ago I learned to separate words and deeds. Trust happens when words and deeds match.

 

No comments: