Monday, August 17, 2026

Simple and Wonderful

 


If you live in an Anglophone country, an English book store is no big thing. If you don't and you are a reader, big time, it's wonderful to have a book-filled store handy.

We live in two Francophone countries. Yes, there are places to get English books such as: 

  • Geneva English Library 
  • Friends 
  • Revamped telephone booths 
  • English sections of local language bookstores 
  • Internet 

But even with the 12,000+ books at the library, what we want is not always available.

When Pages and Sips opened a couple of years back in Geneva's old town it became a place for us not only to order a book we can't find  in paper but a place to enjoy.

This morning Rick, Sherlock and I headed to the Veille Ville, Old Town, with its centuries old buildings and cobbled stone streets to pick up books we ordered. The dog led us directly to the open door.

Because of the five canicules (heatwaves from 90°-105° for days-weeks) we had hunkered down at home rather than go into the city.

Emily, the owner, was on holiday, but she had her friendly staff ready our order for us. 

Not so fast.

 

First it was necessary to find a comfortable seat and order:

  • Me: Classic scone (which would be served warm), clotted cream, strawberry jam, smoked tea.
  • Rick: Chocolate scone, hot chocolate, clotted cream.
  • Sherlock: Water, clotted cream.   

There was something cozy about just sitting there having breakfast, nibbling and talking. Books are not just on shelves but on tables. There's a children's room and a second story.  

There are unusual jigsaw puzzles, often with a literary theme such as Agatha Christie's library where her mysteries are hidden. As a child we had many Switzerland jigsaw puzzles, which I loved never imaging that one day I'd not only live there but be a citizen.  

The soft green walls and ceiling with white trim, the ancient wooden beams and comfy furniture all add to the atmosphere. Everything fits down to the smallest detail, including the bookstore name on a dog's water dish and book bags.

 

Soft music, this morning it was jazz, played in the background.

I was only too aware of what adds quality to my life. Living in this historic place just adds to my contentment. Jean-Jacques Rousseau was born across the street. Jean Calvin's church is a couple of blocks away as is his 467-year old school where students still meet high standards. Perhaps they no longer learn Latin, Greek and the Bible but they come out well-educated citizens.

I revel in experiences more than things. The cows in field not far from where we live are the prettiest brown color, the flowers that are in the garden, the huge, and I mean huge trees that line the road, the view of Mt. Blanc as we walk down the road to our home all add pleasure to my life. I revel in my husband's company. Having Sherlock stare into my eyes melts my heart. 

When I nail a sentence or a scene in my writing, meet a friend to share a word or a meal are all reasons for joy. I love rainy and snowy weather. When Rick and I made a snow dog, Sherlock sniffed then finding it wanting destroyed it. 

It is that type of memory to bring out from time to time when a smile is needed. Color, beautiful smells, interesting actions, music, words, so much brings quality to my life.


 

 

 

 

No comments: