Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Bickering Elderly Aunts...A Seed for Novel No.2

 

When we visited two retired aunts in Florida, they bickered about a prom dress worn decades before. Despite them arguing, for most of their adult lives about everything, they sent each other the same Christmas card with one sentence added by each of them in turn.

The card became more and more crowded, I was told. 

I never learned what they said to one another. However it triggered the idea for my second novel.

What about a friendship that started as university roommates and continue through adulthood???? They would exchange the same Christmas card adding a line.

I would make the women different. 

Jane would be a New England country girl who does the traditional route of marriage, albeit an unhappy one.

Diana takes the professional route, but as a journalist she is badly hurt in the 1968 Paris student riots.

The message of the card each year gave me the idea of what had happened to them or what they were planning, the meat of a chapter.

There are writers who plan everything out in advance. I'm not one of those. If I were, those bickering aunts would never have planted that seed. 

 

No comments: