I'm happy that I've published over 18 books. It was only at my third published book did I feel I could say I was a real writer.
Here's the downside. I'm on some list where I get 5-30 marketing emails a day all to "Author."
Some claim to have read my unnamed book and liked it because of plot, character, etc. All want to sell me something from a review to an interview.
Since they don't mention me or the book I know it is a form letter. Or maybe it is an AI letter.
I answered those dear author letters with two questions: what book, what's my name. Answers came back with things like Dear Kenneth and a title which Kenneth must have written. Or not.
I'm not Kenneth. I don't know anything about that book.
Most are of this ilk.
"I recently came across your work and wanted to take a moment to reach out.
As
I learned more about your book and your journey as an author, it became
clear that you've invested significant thought, expertise, and passion
into creating something meaningful for your readers. In today's crowded
publishing landscape, it's always refreshing to discover authors who are
committed to sharing valuable ideas and perspectives with their
audience.
Blah Blah Blah"
Many who do mention me by a correct name and a book I wrote are almost always the same format. Granted if it is the same book and its about a Boston Irish Catholic family that was the subject of the book there will be similarities but identical sentences?
Then there are famous writers who claim they want to know other writers. Again there are similar sentences.
My first celebrity was different, Urs of Il Divo. I'd expressed my love of the group on Facebook. The approach was he wanted to make sure I wasn't a journalist, which I was at one time.
He and I are both Swiss. To test if he were real I wrote in German. He answered in German. He could have used a translator. I looked for a Swiss German translator, but couldn't find one. Urs would have known Swiss German as well as his many other languages.
When I asked him to prove he was real, he disappeared.
Then in my emails I began getting famous authors: Stephen King, Donna Leon, Gilliam Flynn, John Irving, etc... He wasn't real.
I wish Irving had been real. I felt an identity with him. We had both lived in Exeter, NH and my masters thesis had been on repeated symbolism in his work. I had many fights with my Reader (It was a Welsh university) about how much of Irving's details were based on real life.
My Reader said none.
After I got my degree, I saw a quote from Irving in an article backing my point of view. I sent it to my Reader. He admitted I'd been right.
I treat the contacts different ways.
- Spam
- Block
- Follow up in case its real. It has been about three times of the very few I've answered.
- Report the general problem to the Authors Guild who warned their members of the scams.
I want to get back to emails from friends and family. The same with Facebook. I don't want to spend extra time on social media or any of the other junk that shows up on my laptop. I only use my phone as a camera, emergency calls. I don't need the interruptions to all the good things in my life.
Scammers...leave me alone.

No comments:
Post a Comment