Monday, May 08, 2006

A fish story

One of my more stupid thoughts as I was moving to Switzerland almost 16 years ago was how much I would miss fish. With major lakes scattered around the country, finding fresh fish is NOT a problem.

One of the national dishes is filet des perches, with several of the little critters laid out a plate. It is possible to get them fried, poached, cooked in butter, or done with various sauces. Tons are brought out of the lakes each year and grace the menus of most good restaurants. One of my favourites is in walking distance of the house and the other is only a couple of bus stops away.

However, this is May. No perch can be caught. They are busy making babies. I wonder if they breathe a sigh of relief as they go about their reproduction. Do they say to their dates, “Hey, let’s swim to Yvoire. No nets for the month.”

Regardless, I wish them fertility.

No comments: