Friday, November 02, 2007

Beauty helps the soul


When ever I find myself apoplectic over the war both current and looming, mercenaries, torture, climate change, the shredding of the Constitution I find a walk helps bring me back to some sense of equilibrium.

Today’s walk was during a perfect day, a day where it forgot to be grey, a day where parents shooed their little children out of the house, saying it was too nice to be in. I could hear their voices and see them peddling their bikes.

Older children, I’m sure, were staring out classroom windows, waiting for freedom. School runs later in the day here, but I was already free, walking with my face in the sun to the next village. I wanted to see the flowers at the crosswalk and those spilling out of our favourite restaurant.

There is something so simple in the flowers, but the idea of beautifying a cross walk, although so simple, can add so much to the environment and goes a long way towards healing a soul battered by the insanity of our times.

No comments: